Tuesday, January 8, 2013

First mini app-o-rama...two approvals 130,000 points

Today marks the first time I have applied for more than one credit card at one time. Last year I conservatively began my journey into credit card churning for frequent flyer miles and hotel points, earning 230,000 miles/points in sign-up bonuses for opening up a total of five credit cards for the year (January, March, May, August and November). It was my initial intention to wait until February for my next "churn," but a great offer popped up and I decided not to wait.



First, I saw this post on slickdeals about a 100,000-point sign-up offer for the American Express Platinum card, and then I followed up for more information on flyertalk. Well, the $450 annual fee (not waived) for the Amex Platinum seemed a bit steep to me and I didn't think I'd really take advantage of all of the card's perks. 100,000 Amex points (great for transferring to hotel and airline programs) was tempting, but ultimately, I decided to go with the Premier Rewards Gold for 50,000 points and the first year $175 fee waived. Of course, I will cancel the card before year two rolls around. I do have to spend $1,000 in three months, which should be no trouble. This regular public offer for the PRG is 25,000 points, so this is double the points, which is why I jumped on it. The card's benefits include:
  • 3 points per $ on airfare
  • 2 points per $ on gas and groceries
  • 1 point per $ on all other purchases
  • Get an additional 15,000 points for spending $30,000 in one year
  • Other Amex benefits such as roadside assistance, car rental loss & damage insurance, travel accident insurance, extended warranty
Unfortunately, I'm seeing reports on slickdeals and flyertalk the Amex offer might be dead, so that's precisely why it's important to jump on good deals quickly.


Then, I pulled the trigger on the 80,000-point Priority Club Select Visa using a link from flyertalk. Again, this bonus requires spending $1,000 in three months. I was a little surprised to get instant approval for this since I have a fair number of Chase cards, but I guess the odds were in my favor today. The annual fee of $49 is waived for the first year, but many think this card is worth keeping beyond the first year because you get a free night every year, which can be worth a lot more than $49 if you choose a top-dollar property. Other benefits include:
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas,groceries and restaurants
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Platinum elite status
I am looking forward to some free/cheap hotel stays in Europe this year with my 130,000 points!

No comments:

Post a Comment