Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trip report: Clearwater Beach, FL--Selecting the hotel


This is post one of three about my trip to Clearwater Beach, Fl in August 2012.

Related posts
Hyatt Regency Hotel review


The hotel I chose for my stay in Clearwater Beach.

I gave careful consideration about whether to pay or use points for a hotel. Since I was not renting a car, I knew I wanted to stay on the beach to be walking distance from the action and not in the city, where hotels were slightly cheaper. There are plenty of cheapo motels in Clearwater Beach, but I ultimately decided free is always better for me.

Hotel chains with loyalty programs in Clearwater Beach and number of points per night to redeem an award

I have no Hilton points, no Marriott points and I didn’t have any Starwood points at the time. So, it was between the Hyatt and Holiday Inn, which was a no brainer. The Hyatt took fewer points and was going for around $250 per night during my stay and the Holiday Inn was $150 per night. The Hyatt had a primo location near the pier and was just steps from the beach. It also had pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor.

So, I crossed my fingers and thank goodness, it was available! As an aside, I had zero points in my Hyatt Passport account so I called up Gold Passport and asked if award nights were available during the time I wanted to stay (in August). The rep confirmed there were, so I hung up, transferred the 36,000 points (two nights) from my Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards account to my Hyatt Gold Passport account (it was instantaneous) and booked my room. I was also able to book a Deluxe room which was larger than the standard Premium room. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment