Thursday, August 9, 2012

The dreaded ‘pending review’ screen


If you read my post the other day, you’ll know I was excited about applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) American Express card since the signup bonus was just bumped from 25,000 to 30,000 points for a limited time.

Well, after I filled out the application and submitted it, I got the dreaded “your application is pending further review” message. In these days of instant online approval, pending review seems like one step away from a denial. I’m still pretty new to the “game,” so I have yet to be denied, but it is definitely a fear.



But there was no need to despair or even wait 14 days for a letter in the mail as instructed. On the advice of The Points Guy, I waited about 15 minutes and then checked my application status online.

And, just like that, I was approved! The six-month clock (20,000 additional points for $5,000 spend in six months) starts ticking from the date of approval, so I’m ready to get my card and start using it. Unfortunately, it takes 7-10 days to receive it in the mail.



If I my application status had still said “pending,” my next move would have been to call the Amex reconsideration line at 1-800-582-6471 to see if there was anything they or I could do to speed my application approval along, but thankfully that was unnecessary. But keep that advice in your back pocket if you need it.

To think, before I started “churning,” I never even knew credit card reconsideration lines existed.

I forgot to mention in my post the other day that Amex allows existing cardmembers to refer new cardmembers to the SPG card for a 5,000-point bonus. So if you have currently have a card, be sure to refer your friends and family. You’ll get an extra 5,000 Starpoints. And if you are looking to get a card, ask your friends or family if they want to refer you so they can get 5,000 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment