Thursday, June 21, 2012

My first mattress run

I recently completed my first of four planned “mattress run” hotel stays. A mattress run is a trip with the sole purpose of getting hotel points or taking advantage of a promotion. With a mattress run, you book a cheap hotel night, and in return you'll earn something far more valuable. Often times, people don’t even stay the night at the hotel.

Reasons why I booked this particular stay
  • I am trying to meet the required spend ($3,000 in three months) on my Chase Sapphire Preferred card by the end of the month, so I can get 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points that I will redeem for future airfare or hotel stays.
  • I signed up for a number of stackable Priority Club Rewards promotions that should net me a few thousand points for this stay.
  • IHG Vacation Pay promotion $75 prepaid Master card

My stay at the Candlewood Suites near the Dallas Galleria
I selected the cheapest hotel that came up when I searched—it just so happened to be five minutes from my job, so it was easy to swing by and check-in after work on Friday.

At check-in the clerk thanked me for being a Priority Club Rewards member and handed me a welcome bag which included a bottled water, a package of Belvita breakfast biscuits and Axe hair gel. I was invited to spin the wheel for a prize and I won a $5 gift certificate to the Candlewood Cupboard (little convenience store inside the hotel where you pay using the honor system), which I redeemed for a small bag of Cheetos, peanuts and a bottle of orange juice.

The room itself was nothing special, but it was clean. Since this is an extended stay hotel, there was a small kitchen area with refrigerator, dishwasher, cooktop and microwave. 

There was a small desk, chair, tube TV and VCR/DVD player (DVDs were available at the front desk to borrow). 

Though I booked a stay for Friday and Saturday night, I only slept there on Saturday night. The bed was comfortable, and I slept well. The bathroom was clean and offered plenty of towels.



My total with taxes came to $131.06. I submitted the $75 mail-in rebate, which will bring my out of pocket expenses to $56.06. I expect to acquire a few thousand PC reward points through the promotions I signed up for, such as signing up for text messages.




Since I booked the reservation through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards Mall for 4 points per dollar, I should get an additional 524 UR points, plus the Sapphire offers 2x points (262) on travel, for a total of 786 UR points. I'm happy with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment